Visual Encyclopedia

Writing

More posts about this topic

Ad

Stephen King on storytelling and writing

Contributed by Adrienne DeLuca

WriteOrDie.com is an app meant to motivate writing and give no excuse for writer's block. The idea is to set yourself a goal, set yourself a punishment, and get writing. Wait, a punishment? What's that all about? Well, WriteOrDie is an intense writing motivation tool because one such punishment is to begin deleting what you've written if you pause too long.

Contributed by Bridget LaMonica

Have you ever had times where you have a word you want to use, but you just can't quite figure out what the word you're thinking of is? This website is perfect for that situation! You put in combinations like the letter the word ends with and begin with, the minimum and maximum length of the word, and synonyms of it, and it gives you a list of different possibilities! Great tool for any writer.

Contributed by Keri Potter

Stephen King thinks any word you need to search for in a thesaurus...is the wrong one. Do you agree? Personally, I've seen authors who overuse their thesaurus, so that does get a little annoying. Characters speaking in language much more educated (or lofty, highbrow, etc) than they are takes one out of the story. But I for one sometimes have trouble finding that word that's on the tip of my tongue...so a thesaurus is still a useful tool for me.

NaNoWriMo stands for "National Novel Writing Month," and it's the website devoted to inspiring writers to put in the effort and pound out a rough draft in 30 days. Writers aspire to putting 50,000 words to a draft within that month to "win." Prizes are mostly an internal victory, but in recent years they've offered publishing services for a free proof copy of your book and other special deals. nanowrimo.org

34 Great Writing Tips! (see link) A number of these I've heard before, such as setting a daily writing goal and participating in NaNoWriMo, but sometimes we need a little reminder (and a kick in the rear) to get back to what we really want to be doing: putting words to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and creating.

Written? Kitten! is a fantastic tool to ward against writer's block. You can set the desired word count goal (to 100, 200, 500, or 1000), and every time you type that many words, a picture of an adorable kitten pops up on the screen next to the text box.

Contributed by Sam Wend

Pixar's 22 rules of story telling. Good advice.

Contributed by Mallory Kraus

Sometimes the idea of writing a book that fails can prevent us from journeying on in our writing endeavors. Here are some tips on how to text out your book idea to see if it's worth exploring.

Contributed by Sammo Lea