Visual Encyclopedia

The Hunger Games

More posts about this topic

Ad

I understand your point about young children not being able to fully understand the concept behind the Hunger Games. However, if you are familiar with other works by Suzanne Collins, she often writes about war geared toward a younger audience to teach them how absolutely damaging war can be. I think if explained correctly by a proper guardian children can understand the messages the story is supposed to portray.

Contributed by Jessica Falcon

Check out this gorgeous dress for the Hunger Games Catching Fire film. The dress is from Alexander McQueen's spring/summer 2011 collection. This film must be a costume designers dream. There is so much imagination and high fashion involved in the capital clothing. I personally love this dress. If I could find a slightly less dramatic version I would so wear it. Interesting to me that the name of these butterflies, Monarch, is also a term used for people in power. Effie doesn't have too much power in the series, but she is from the Capital, the center of power in this futuristic distopia. Source: style.mtv.com

Contributed by Kandi Smith

A like to the official theatrical trailer recently released at the comic con convention. I don't think I have ever heard of a film being so protective of their trailers, Not only are they protective of them, but there is a lot of hype around just the commercials. The facebook fan page has posted countdowns for both for the now released trailers. This is a great way to get people excited about the film.

Contributed by Kandi Smith

The boy with the bread

Contributed by Maggie Dressel

The girl on fire

Contributed by Maggie Dressel

The Catching Fire Trailer

Contributed by Casey Giust

Even though I enjoyed the movie, I couldn't help but laugh at this!

Contributed by Helen Carefoot

Something that I found to be quite shocking is the fact that mothers were bringing their young children (ages 6 and even younger) to see the movie. While the book and movie center around the Hunger Games - A death match of 24 children ages 12-18 with only one survivor, the theme and message that Collins successfully portrays is not centered around the violence. The tragic brutality of the Hunger Games is merely a venue through which her real message is portrayed. But how can you expect a young child to understand this? We wouldn't subject our children to this in real life, but letting them watch a movie that they have not had enough experience to understand is not real is okay? Does anyone else feel the same way?

Contributed by Brianna Terry

Here's a link to Suzanne Collin's website! Her hunger games series has a lot to tell us about mindless following trends and losing site of your individuality

Contributed by Erin Koren

The Hunger Games Cake

Contributed by Cassie Leyba