Visual Encyclopedia

Synesthesia

More posts about this topic

Ad

Here's another illustration of what time-space synesthesia. Fascinating, huh? Courtesy of dana.org www.dana.org

Contributed by Taylor Jackson

Most people with color grapheme synesthesia (seeing colors with letters and numbers) see these colors within their mind's eye. Others, however, report seeing colored words in front of them like a projection. Such is the case with people who see colors with sound. Courtesy of newsimg.bbc.co.uk newsimg.bbc.co.uk

In most cases, people with synesthesia assume everyone else experiences the same things. It goes unquestioned for long periods of time. This is exactly what happened to me until I talked to my sister when I was around 7.Some people who know about their synesthesia actually discover that they have other types!

Some people have time-space synesthesia. They see decades, days of the week, months of the year, and other sequences as positioned in specific areas around their bodies. Sometimes they are colored. Courtesy of phil-rose.co.uk www.phil-rose.co.uk

This is a bettery test for those who want to determine whether they have synesthesia or not. One key thing to remember is that synesthetic experiences are constant throughout one's lifetime; intensity however can change under certain circumstances. So the letter Monday can't be hot pink one instance and magenta the next!

Courtesy of the Facebook page, Synesthesia

People who have color grapheme synesthesia would easily be able to distinguish the 5s from the 2s because of the coloring associated with them. For me, the 5s are lime green and the 2s are bright yellow, a dead giveaway!

Have you ever wondered why certain letters of the alphabet just don’t get along? Or gushed over your two favorite colored numbers being paired together? I do, all the time actually. As a child I thought everyone else saw the same things. I remember sitting my older sister down at the age of 7 and explaining how the numbers of my grade levels had a color: first grade was black, grade two was a golden yellow, grade three was navy blue, fourth grade would be red, and so on. My excitement was quickly replaced with utter shock when I found that she did not feel the same way! In fact, she couldn’t understand how letters and numbers had genders or their own biographies. Everything was black and white for her, not even a hint of lime green… I refused to confide in anyone else about my vibrant world for years, convinced that it was too bizarre for others to accept. I was a high school senior when I gathered the nerve to “Google” my symptoms and, lo and behold, I found several articles explaining what I had! I have synesthesia, a neurological phenomenon in which two or more of the five senses are wired together. In my case, I have color grapheme (seeing colors with letters and numbers), and ordinal linguistic personification (associating personalities with graphemes). Each alphabet has its own color, gender, and personality traits. For example, A is a red female who has a sort of well rounded, main character personality. Everyone likes her. G on the other hand is an older man who is a father figure to E (a lime green male) and F (a black male). G has feelings for K (an orange female), but the feeling is not mutual. 3 is navy blue boy and somewhat immature immature. 6 is a pink female. All of these associations are constant; this is the way it has always been for me! Do you taste sounds? Do you see colors with letters? Wanna talk about it? Join this Facebook page below dedicated to the subject: www.facebook.com

An interesting segment on 60 minutes with Mr. Richard Cytowic. He is also author of The Man Who Tasted Shapes, a really good read in my opinion!

"I have Synesthesia: I'm not a freak, I'm a Synesthete" is a friendly Facebook page for people with all types of synesthesia to discuss their unique experiences. Whether you smell sounds or taste movement, you will be welcomed there!