Visual Encyclopedia

Synesthesia

More posts about this topic

Ad

Here's a short video from HealthGuru explaining what synesthesia is.

Contributed by Taylor Jackson

www.jwannerton.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk James Wannerton is the president of the UK Synesthesia Association. his website is pretty awesome if you want to check it out Image courtesy of blogs.kqed.org blogs.kqed.org

Here is a link to an interesting article about synesthesia. James Wannerton's experiences are especially interesting. He is the president of the UK Synesthesia Association.

A 7 min vid separated into 4 short chapters. A synethesia researcher explains what synesthesia is and what the experience is like for her.

Here are the locations of the five senses. Synesthesia is a crossing of two or more of these senses. Considering how close most of them are it is easy to understand why they get tangled!

Here's what my name looks like. Not an attractive set of colors, I know. It actually looks less impressive with the colors defined like this....

Here is what I see when I read the word "synesthesia!"

An exerpt from the Billy Joel interview (see post below!) about a French poet who wrote about his synesthetic experiences: "...the French Symbolist poet Arthur Rimbaud composed a stunning poem about colored vowels in the 19th century called, “Voyelles.” Along with the works of fellow Symbolist Charles Baudelaire, Rimbaud’s work helped to popularize synesthesia. Voyelles “A, black, E white, I red, U, green, O blue: vowels, I shall tell, one day, of your mysterious origins: A, black velvety jacket of brilliant flies Which buzz around cruel smells Gulfs of shadow, E, whiteness of vapors and of tents, Lances of proud glaciers, white kings, shivers of cow-parsley; I, purples, spat blood, smile of beautiful lips In anger or in the raptures of penitence; U, waves, divine shuddering of viridian seas, The peace of pastures dotted with animals, the peace of the furrows Which alchemy prints on broad studious foreheads; O, sublime trumpet full of strange piercing sounds, Silences crossed by worlds and by angels; O the Omega! The violet ray of His eyes!” Courtesy of psychologytoday.com www.psychologytoday.com

Musical artists like Billy Joel use sound color synesthesia as their inspirations. In an interview on the topic, Joel revealed the colors associated with certain beats such as "Still Rock and Roll to Me:" This red-orange-yellow color scheme can even been seen in his music video! "Songs with a heavier beat, a faster rhythm, suggest the red-orange-yellow end of the spectrum, Mr. Joel explains. Think: “It’s Still Rock n’ Roll To Me”; “We Didn’t Start the Fire.” " Quote courtesy of psychologytoday.com www.psychologytoday.com

This image illustrates the experience people with taste touch synesthesia have. The taste of foods create a sensation in the mouth in the form of points, prickles, shapes, and even temperatures. These oddly shaped utensils were constructed with different materials to simulate the different textures people experience. Created by Jinhyun Jeon. Courtesy of urbantimes.co urbantimes.co