Visual Encyclopedia

Shark

More posts about this topic

Ad

This was on shark week, most interesting thing about a shark I have ever watched

Contributed by Kalli Vanden Heuvel

Real Whale Shark with a Model

This is not photoshopped! Photographers Shawn Heinrichs and Kristian Schmidt teamed up and creatively shot a set of fashion photos never before seen!

Contributed by Vanessa Lam

Sharks Swimming in the Bahamas

You don't have to be in the ocean to see a shark! Bull sharks LOVE freshwater, and have been spotted in bays, lagoons, rivers.. AND in the Bahamas like in this picture!!

White Shark..I mean a GREAT White Shark

Cage divers meet Great White Shark.... Great White Shark meet Cage Divers

The 60-foot-long Megalodon, the world’s largest known shark, died out 1.5 million years ago ... or did it? Some scientists think the monster shark is still among us, and unusual sightings have been claimed for many years. The British survey ship HMS Challenger, while dredging a seabed near Tahiti in 1875, pulled up a pair of Megalodon teeth, one of which is shown here. Over the years, dating of the teeth has produced mixed results. Some dates fall in the 10,000-15,000-year-old range. That’s a far cry from 1.5 million years ago, when Megalodon supposedly went extinct. Discovery's Shark Week starts Sunday, August 4!

Contributed by Courtney Walsh

Shark scales are like mini sharp teeth facing towards the tail. This helps them to move swiftly through the water. If you were to pet a shark (which I do not recommend) from the rear forward, you would cut your hand open.

Contributed by Elaina Schnyderite

Did you know that by preserving a sharks life we could actually be preserving human life as well. Sharks have in fact mastered the ability to cure themselves of cancer!! Many studies have shown that because of a sharks strikingly similar genetic makeup to a humans we can learn more about how this animal has mastered an automatic anecdote that even the most brilliant of doctors are still striving to concoct! Treat the sea as a temple because it may have secrets we desperately need...

Contributed by Alexis Henderson

Tiger sharks are considered to be one of the most aggressive shark species, and it starts in the womb: embryos fight each other and the survivor is born.

Contributed by Keri Potter

100 years seems like a long time to live to me. It was because of this that the fact that sharks lives can last up to 100 years struck me so much. A fish living 100 years? It just seems pretty amazing to me.

Contributed by Keri Potter

I am going to school for marine biology, I canNOT wait to learn more about these highly misunderstood creatures! LOVED this video!

Contributed by Brittanie Swain