Visual Encyclopedia

Sense and Sensibility

More posts about this topic

Ad

“Brandon is just the kind of man whom every body speaks well of, and nobody cares about; whom all are delighted to see, and nobody remembers to talk to.” ― Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility

Contributed by Alicia Kimberly Hauskins

“That is what I like; that is what a young man ought to be. Whatever be his pursuits, his eagerness in them should know no moderation, and leave him no sense of fatigue.” ― Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility

“Mrs. Jennings was a widow, with an ample jointure. She had only two daughters, both of whom she had lived to see respectably married, and she had now therefore nothing to do but to marry all the rest of the world.” ― Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility

“Life could do nothing for her, beyond giving time for a better preparation for death.” ― Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility

“I could not be happy with a man whose taste did not in every point coincide with my own. He must enter in all my feelings; the same books, the same music must charm us both.” ― Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility

“It was told to me, it was in a manner forced on me by the very person herself whose prior engagement ruined all my prospects, and told me, as I thought, with triumph. This person's suspicions, therefore, I have had to oppose by endeavouring to appear indifferent where I have been most deeply interested; and it has not been only once; I have had her hopes and exultations to listen to again and again. I have known myself to be divided from Edward forever, without hearing one circumstance that could make me less desire the connection. Nothing has proved him unworthy; nor has anything declared him indifferent to me. I have had to content against the unkindness of his sister and the insolence of his mother, and have suffered the punishment of an attachment without enjoying its advantages. And all this has been going on at the time when, as you too well know, it has not been my only unhappiness. If you can think me capable of ever feeling, surely you may suppose that I have suffered now.” ― Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility

“Eleanor went to her room "where she was free to think and be wretched.” ― Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility

“There is something so amiable in the prejudices of a young mind, that one is sorry to see them give way to the reception of more general opinions.” ― Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility

“To her own heart it was a delightful affair, to her imagination it was even a ridiculous one, but to her reason, her judgment, it was completely a puzzle.” ― Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility The Screenplay

“It is not time or opportunity that is to determine intimacy;—it is disposition alone. Seven years would be insufficient to make some people acquainted with each other, and seven days are more than enough for others.” ― Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility