Visual Encyclopedia

Rhodes College

More posts about this topic

Ad

Rhodes recently received two rare, young American chestnut trees.Rhodes College is a Level IV Certified Arboretum, which is the highest designation for certification. "Given to Rhodes by Dr. Hill Craddock (University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences) on behalf of The American Chestnut Foundation (TACF), the chestnut tree is now a rare species that previously constituted 40 percent of forest ecosystems. Starting in the early 1900s, the chestnut tree has faced a devastating extinction due to an introduced fungal disease." Information and photo courtesy of rhodes.edu www.rhodes.edu

Contributed by Taylor Jackson

Rhodes College is most recognized by it's unique colligate gothic architecture. The style was decided on in 1925 when the college was moved to Memphis, TN.

Rhodes College is a Level IV Certified Arboretum, which is the highest designation for certification. "Arboretum levels are assigned in accordance with the number of species of trees and the educational outreach performed by the organization responsible." I took this picture right after my first final exam as a sophomore. Information courtesy of Rhodes.edu www.rhodes.edu

For early 100 years freshmen at Rhodes have been required to sign an Honor Code in which they agree not to cheat in class (of during take-home exams) or steal from classmates.

When the college was moved from Clarksville, TN to Memphis, a student named John A. Rollow planted a handful of seedlings on campus. This area was named the Rollow Avenue of Oaks, but is usually referred to as "Oak Alley." Courtesy of flickr.com farm3.staticflickr.com

An picture I took of the 5th annual Japanese Culture Festival. Members of the Japanese Culture Club from the University of Memphis performed traditional dances. Members of the Go club visited to teach party goers how to play the ancient strategy board game "Go."

An orientation video shown to my freshman class. "An anthropologist uncovers the curious behavior of the typical 'Rhodent.'"

Stained glass windows are found in every building. Courtesy of emilycerrito.tumblr.com

A view inside the middle ground across from the Barret Library. Students can study, visit the Starbucks coffee shops, and chill on a couch or table. Courtesy of grindertaber.com

A student chillin' outside of Frazier-Jelke. The benches are surprisingly cozy. Courtesy of collegeapps.about.com