Visual Encyclopedia

Rat

More posts about this topic

Ad

Rat Cleaning Itself

One rat cleans its "sniffer" while the other is just looking cute!

Contributed by Sam Feldstone

I love the way this rat eats those noodles

TB kills half a million people a year in Africa, 1.5 thousand a day! In Tanzania scientists have trained these rats to detect early signs of the virus in human saliva. Every time the rats identify a positive sample, the trainer makes a click sound and the rat receives a food reward. Very fast and very accurate too!

Rat's Nose

A rat with a nose so pretty and pink; posted by the La Ratatouille Facebook page

Rats are so fascinating- they're more like humans than you might think- they can laugh and dream

BDay

A rat celebrating his birthday! His owners must love him a whole lot!

Contributed by Darby Oliver

Fat Rat

Cute little rat. It's weird. When I see a picture of a rat angled above, they frighten me. But when I see a picture angled from below, they look adorable.

Contributed by Darby Oliver

A new study reveals that rats, when given the choice between chocolate and rescuing a friend from drowning in water, would rather rescue the friend than eat the chocolate. The rats chose to help their companions before seeking the snack 50-80% of the time. This study also supports a growing body of evidence that says that there is an evolutionary basis for helpful behavior- that is being helpful toward our fellow human is in our biology rather than from our upbringing.

Even rats can play human games such as follow the leader

All about Norway Rats!

Contributed by Kelsey Helgerson