Visual Encyclopedia

Poetry

More posts about this topic

Ad

Slavery is still amongst us

Contributed by Paige Marie Tallman

Everybody is that kid That nobody cares about Everybody is that kid That is always left out Everybody is that kid That want a new start Everybody is that kid That "has no heart" Everybody is that kid That people watch and stare Everybody is that kid The one that won't share Everybody is that kid That always gets shoved Everybody is that kid That wants to be loved

Contributed by Paige Marie Tallman

Counting petals. He loves me, he loves me not. I give and you take. Over and over again, but the product is still the same. Our love is not equal. The lines of symmetry are nonexistent. You keep adding to the equation, And it’s a continual sequence. I’m trying to find my equivalent. But the sum of us is an infinite spiral of something undefined. The problems we have multiply As our connection starts to divide And I wonder, Was this really of any value? Is this ending absolute? Or am I just caught in the matrix Trying to understand a fraction of what is real? He loves me. Is our love real? Or will it continue to decay exponentially? He loves me not. I don’t know the answer. But I’m counting petals.

Contributed by Kendra Malone

The last lie that I told was when you asked how I was. I was not fine, happy, content. I deceived you. I have said that I was, but I didn’t mean it, didn’t believe it. and you should have seen the look in my eyes. What I really mean: Whatever happiness was I have lost it and the way it would wander into my home and raid the fridge. What I actually mean: I am on a quest searching for the perfect sunset, the smell of acrylic paint, and the feel of water baptizing me into the sea. When you weren’t listening, I was singing dirges, reading tragedies, and hiding my face from yours. The thing is: You can't tell if a fish was feeling ill, unless it is belly up.

Contributed by Marissa Meyers

Go in with a busy mind. Relax your thoughts, slow your breathing. Slow everything down like meditation. (Don’t hyperventilate or pass out, you could drown.) No cell phones! But a DVD player would do nicely. Rest it on the toilet lid and watch your favorite movie. No thrillers though, you are trying to relax. Some snacks, but not graham crackers, or chips. You don't want to soak in a crumby bath. Exfoliate with body wash, that stuff feels great. Scented oils too, those are an ambrosia equivalent. You need Epsom salt, it relaxes to the bones. You can get this at Walgreens, or Menards. Last, and most important, bubbles. Lots of them. If you do this right, you will come out not only clean, but enlightened. Follow these words of advice, and I won’t gouge your eyes out.

Contributed by Marissa Meyers

Sylvia Plath- some dark stuff

Contributed by Jennifer Davis

What have i become? A soulless corpse Existing in a world Where we must act As living creatures. Where pretending Is accepted, No questions asked. A corpse with life, But whom does not live. Whose heart Has been tainted By pain and anger; No longer pure. Who moves, Walks, With no specific Destination. Lost In this abyss Others call Humanity. A numb soulless corpse. -cristal guzman 4/7/11

Contributed by Cristal Guzman

Under a cherry tree I found a robin’s egg, broken, but not shattered. I had been thinking of you, and was kneeling in the grass among fallen blossoms when I saw it: a blue scrap, a delicate toy, as light as confetti It didn’t seem real, but nature will do such things from time to time. I looked inside: it was glistening, hollow, a perfect shell except for the missing crown, which made it possible to look inside. What had been there is gone now and lives in my heart where, periodically, it opens up its wings, tearing me apart. Phillis Levin

There's so much going on now. It's not just about me this time. So many hearts would be broken, That's the reason I can't yet fly. It wouldn't be fair for them, To feel the pain I've felt. To have endless tears running down their face Because of the unfairness I've dealt. I must stand my ground for their sake. I must keep the smile on their faces, real or fake. I can't leave them for they're still in need. I must renounce my own greed. I can't abandon everything, everyone, not yet. They're counting on me, I know and they mustn't fret. The date for my departure has moved once again, It wasn't my choice. But lucky for me, they'll still get to hear my voice. They'll be able to see my eyes, full of life because of them. My heartbeat will resound in their minds And they'll know it's the heart of their friend. They'll hear my laugh, although rare. But they'll know it's mine because I'll be there. I won't leave, I won't fly away. I know now that for them I must stay. For them I must carry on. Not feel down and alone. No, that's not the way I should be. That's not what they want from me. Every second of my stay should be bright. No more darkness, no more putting up a fight. Just happiness, because that's why I'm here. With all of them at my side, there shall be no more fear. The selfishness shall end. I'll be what they all want; I'll be their best friend. -cgl 012512_150