Visual Encyclopedia

Poetry

More posts about this topic

Ad

"Chicago" by Carl Sandburg (a reading)

Contributed by Aileen Chang

There are many different types of poetry. Check out this link to learn something new!

Contributed by Kelsey Helgerson

A moment of happiness, you and I sitting on the verandah, apparently two, but one in soul, you and I. We feel the flowing water of life here, you and I, with the garden's beauty and the birds singing. The stars will be watching us, and we will show them what it is to be a thin crescent moon. You and I unselfed, will be together, indifferent to idle speculation, you and I. The parrots of heaven will be cracking sugar as we laugh together, you and I. In one form upon this earth, and in another form in a timeless sweet land.

Contributed by Sümeyra Ekin

What happens to a dream deferred? Does it dry up like a raisin in the sun? Or fester like a sore- And then run? Does it stink like rotten meat? Or crust and sugar over- like a syrupy sweet? Maybe it just sags like a heavy load. Or does it explode?

Contributed by Felicia Nicole McCoy

"The man is either mad or he is making verses." - Horace

Contributed by Lori Jones

"Jewels five words-long, That on the stetch'd forefinger of all Time Sparkle for ever." - Tennyson (from The Princess, 1847)

"One merit of poetry few persons will deny: it says more and in fewer words than prose." - Voltaire (A Philosophical Dictionary)

These pearls of thought in Persian gulfs were bred, Each softly lucent as a rounded moon; The diver Omar plucked them from their bed, Fitzgerald strung them on an English thread." -Lowell (In a copy of Omar Khayyám)

"Poets utter great and wise things which they themselves do not understand." - Plato (The Republic)

"I can no more believe old Homer blind, Than those who say the sun hath never shined; The age wherein he lived was dark, but he Could not want sight who taught all the world to see." _Sir John Denham (Progress of Learning)