Visual Encyclopedia

Optical illusion

More posts about this topic

Ad

omgggg

Contributed by Megan Hibdon

These celebrities are pretty recognizable but when you focus on the cross and use your peripherals what kind of faces do you see? No the pictures haven't been physically altered, only by your brain!

Contributed by Alyssa Green

Warning: This video is a bit intense. Your eyes might hurt but if you make it through the whole video it is a pretty tricky optical illusion. Must watch beginning to end for it to work!

Focus on the green dot on her nose for the entire video….I still saw her after a few minutes!

Which way do you see the cat rotate. Right or Left? Does it switch sometimes? This is related to bistable perception. Your brain is attempting to make a 2D image 3D by looking for cues on which way it is turning. It is something the brain naturally does to make sense of the world around us. There is no wrong answer its about perception!!

Still art that becomes animated before your eyes!!

I couldn't resist posting another one it is really amazing!

Which line is longer (a) or (b)? The answer is they are exactly the same. It's ok to hold up ruler or measuring tape to the screen and check, I did! First discovered in 1889 by F.C. Müller-Lyer, this illusion might have you scratching your head for a minute. =)

Read this statement….Did you catch it? If you didn't, read it again what did you see?

Optical illusions are interesting because they allow us to misperceive what is actually in front of us, thereby tricking our brains into seeing something that is not actually there. There are many ways to create an optical illusion and wearing certain clothes is just one of many.

Contributed by Kerry Stein