Visual Encyclopedia

Mermaid

More posts about this topic

Ad

Yes I fully believe in the new mermaid sightings, what do you think?

Contributed by Cameron Melton

Mermaids are real. This might not be the type of mermaid you want to see but there are babies born with one leg like a mermaid.

Contributed by Ericka Chavez

When I found out that the show "Mermaid Body of Evidence" was fake. I was really upset. IF YOU WATCHED THE SHOW, HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU FOUND OUT ABOUT THE NEWS? DID YOU BELIEVE IN THE EVIDENCE THE FIRST TIME YOU WATCHED IT?

Contributed by Anne Romelus

When I find out that the whole show was fake, it was really upsetting.

Contributed by Anne Romelus

MERMAID CAUGHT ON TAPE!

Contributed by El Dalhy

Mermaids-mythical or real? The world may never know, at least perhaps in our generation. Mermaids have always been around. These half-fish and half-human creatures that we all know and love have been portrayed through paintings on the walls of caves, stories of journeys across our untamed seas, and movies, one of which is my personal favorite, "The Little Mermaid." Could it have been possible that mermaids were once in harmony with humans on land? Before any type of technology was invented, different countries all across the globe embodied half-fish and half-human creatures in their artworks. Each piece tells a story; each piece captures the same features, the features of a mermaid. How can these countries, countries on the opposite sides of the planet that have no source of communication to one another, know about a mermaid's true form? Based on a scientific theory shown on "Mermaids: The Body Found," the first species of Homo sapiens withheld a high intelligence and quickly found alternate ways for adapting to their environment. For example, when natural disasters struck- volcanos, earthquakes, hurricanes, etc.- what once were unified species might have split off into two groups, one group choosing land while the other chose sea. Overtime, humans on land learned to survive by using their hands to create tools for hunting, huts for living, and languages for communicating. Mermaids, the group who chose the sea, also learned to do the same, except underwater. Since all of these actions are necessary for survival, the body must change to improve life for the species. This is a function known as evolution. Mermaids may or may not exist; whether you believe it or not, that's up to you. In a recent discovery done by research scientists, DNA samples showed that polar bears, nearly aquatic animals, descended from brown bears, terrestrial animals. This type of study shows that any species can develop new traits to fit their new environment. Mermaids may or may not be real; however, the opportunity for a new discovery is always real and the possibilities in this world are unlimited.

Contributed by Nart Nerak

A somewhat blurred photo of a watercolor painting I did of a mermaid. Normally I would have scanned the image for better quality, but the piece was too large to fit through my scanner. Also, I should note that this was for practice and the original artwork is somewhere on the internet.

Contributed by Felicia Nicole McCoy