Visual Encyclopedia

Long-distance running

More posts about this topic

Ad

Just Run!

This is a very interesting way to look at running! An intricate system of bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, and tendons work together in one simple motion for every step you take, much more sophisticated than it appears.

Contributed by Katie Otradovec

Motivation

No Excuses!

Contributed by Katie Otradovec

"Even if it is just for the 40 minutes I am out there running away from what is to come, it is 40 minutes of my life that gets a little bit better. Who knew pain could be so valuable? I also keep my mindset on how I am improving my self-discipline. That is a quality I need in so many more aspects in my life. I am constantly reminding myself of how much more I could be doing and how much more I could be improving in almost anything if I had more self-discipline for myself, and running is my starting point to building that up. " -High School Distance Runner

Contributed by Danielle Gortsema

"I was and am motivated by the fact that this is my senior year. My last one. I need to reach the goals I have set for myself THIS spring. This year. Because this is it. I do not want to live the rest of my life with regret. (I won't live a life of regret if I miss my goal, that's a bit overdramatic. But I could live a life of regret if I miss my goal because I was too lazy to put in the work over these last couple of months). Louis zamperini said that "a lifetime of glory is worth a moment of pain". Running a 400m in less than 52 seconds will not purchase a lifetime of glory for myself, but his point remains. I am motivated because I savor the rewards of a moment of pain." -High School Distance Runner

"I'm just really motivated and driven to beat my personal records from last years track season. It's not only that though. I don't really need motivation to run anymore. Running has became apart of my everyday life it's just something I do. When I don't run I feel stressed out and all up tight. I am extremely happy that I found running because if I look back on my life now, I am not sure what I would have done without it." -High School Distance Runner

Distance runners have some nutritional needs that are different than the average athlete, because of the high-energy demands of their sport. Most prominently, runners need more carbohydrates than the average person, sometimes consuming up to fourteen servings of carbs on a training day. Additionally, they need a large intake of iron to maintain hemoglobin levels. A typical distance runner will take about 45 mg of slow release iron or 90 mg of ferrous sulfate in a day. Although protein is an optimal source of energy for running, runners must eat a significant amount of it in order to build and maintain muscle. Depending on activity level, a runner may need to consume 50 to 70 grams of protein in a day. An especially helpful way to insure proper recovery from a run is to drink chocolate milk. Because of the ratio of carbs to proteins in chocolate milk--three to one--it is an excellent post training snack. The nutritional needs of any one runner varies and it is up to the athlete to take care of themselves physiologically.

Contributed by Laura Daggett