Ad

The Largest Hot Air Balloon Gathering in the World

One of the many wonders happening in France

Contributed by Vanessa Lam

Kangaroo Hot Air Balloon

Contributed by Sara Cornett

Inside view of a deflating hot air balloon

Contributed by Sara Cornett

In downtown Disney you ascend 400 feet in the air !

Contributed by Courtney Walsh

I'll never forget the day I thought a hot air balloon was going to crash into my neighbor's house. when I told my mom she said that my eyes were tricking me, but I told her that the hot air balloon was going to hit their house. When I finally got her to look she saw the same thing, and quickly got on the phone to call our neighbors. Our neighbor ran out into their yard to see the hot air balloon only about 100 feet above their house. The man in the balloon began to scream, "Is it okay if we land here?" Our neighbor, not knowing what else to say responded, "Sure." And low and behold they landed right in their backyard. These are the kinds of stories that come with living in the middle of nowhere. I still can't believe it happened.

Contributed by Brooke Dodd

The Abluquerque International Balloon Festival is held annually in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and has grown from a 13 balloon event in 1972 to the largest hot air balloon event in the world. Balloons come in many interesting designs, and compete and participate in several events throughout the festival. This event attracts so many people each year that if you want to attend, you'd better make hotel reservations a year in advance!

Contributed by Julie Greenleaf

The Twenty-One Balloons by William Rene DuBois

Contributed by Caitlin Gee

Hot air balloon always have a risk that goes with them. This link provides an example of how a hot air balloon can cause devastating damage. 21 passengers in Egypt died from this hot air balloon crash. There is a video and news story.

Contributed by Michael Nelson

This balloon was inspired by the movie "UP". Disney commissioned this balloon to be made to promote the movie. The project took half a year to complete with 540 balloons individually sewn to it. Can you appreciate the time an effort put into an incredible creation like this?

Contributed by Alyssa Green

Here workers are preparing the balloon that was to be flown by famed European balloonist Andrew Holly.

Contributed by Alyssa Green