Visual Encyclopedia

Gluten-free diet

More posts about this topic

Ad

Gluten Free Angel Food Cake with Peach Sangria Sauce.

There are so many things you can eat with Celiac!

Contributed by Ashley Nichole Morris

Gluten free conversion chart

Always helpful when trying to bake a normal recipe

Glutino is a delicious gluten-free brand! I especially love their spin off Oreos

Gluten-free diets are a growing trend. I first heard of it when I moved from AZ to CA about three years ago but I did not give it much thought until I became a nanny to a gluten-free family about three years ago. As a nanny, I am in charge of feeding these kids not only snacks but making dinner. Yikes! I knew nothing about cooking- much less gluten-free! But I quickly learned it's much easier than you think. Both Trader Joes (www.traderjoes.com) and Whole Foods (www.wholefoodsmarket.com) carry gluten-free pastas, breads, burger buns, etc. to make cooking for the whole family a whole lot easier. Other grocery stores may carry gluten-free products, such as baking mixes as well (just yesterday I found a Betty Crocker one in Albertsons). I also suggest hitting up Pinterest (the ultimate recipe database) and your local library for cookbooks. What I quickly learned though, is that you can make pretty much any recipe gluten-free, with a little creativity and alternative flours (almond flour, coconut, brown rice, etc). There are two important things you should keep in mind when going gluten-free though: 1. Fiber. As you cut whole grains out, you cut out the main source of fiber in your diet. Some good sources of fiber are chickpeas (hummus! Yum!), almonds, beans, avocados, brown rice, etc. 2. Calories. Fiber in whole wheat makes you feel full faster, therefore gluten-free foods tend not to fill you up as much, causing you to eat more. This can be tricky when you are counting calories, but just keep in mind the 20 minute rule. Eat a normal sized portion and wait before returning for seconds.

Contributed by Mallory Kraus

100% Natural Gluten Free Banana Pancakes. Enjoy!

Contributed by Cassie Leyba

Gluten Free Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms. Enjoy!

Contributed by Cassie Leyba

Eating gluten free while traveling!

Contributed by Alexandra Breed

How to start eating gluten free!

Have you recently found out you can no longer eat gluten or maybe you are just trying out a new diet? Rest assured, you will not go hungry! There are several substitutes to foods you may not be able to eat anymore, for example, flour can be substituted with rice flour. I should also add that not everything gluten-free tastes like card board. I will list some great brands that are worth trying! Udi's has great bagels, breads, and muffins. Enjoy Life Foods has great chocolate chips and cookies. Gluten Free Cafe, by far, has the greatest chicken noodle soup. Wellaby's has delicious cheese crackers called, Cheese Ups. These are only a few of several great tasting brands! Back to Nature's White Cheddar Rice crackers are a great substitute for chips! Namaste Food's muffin mix, waffle mix, and spice cake mix are very good.