Visual Encyclopedia

Fruit

More posts about this topic

Ad

There is an old tradition of putting Tangerines in Christmas stockings during the holiday? Check out these other facts about Tangerines you might not know.

Contributed by Alyssa Green

The paste of Tamarind is sometimes used to get a stickier consistency for henna dye.

I have seen these shopping for produce. Since I have heard they are an "acquired" taste, I have shied away from them. But perhaps it's time to live a little and try Tamarillos!

Being from Florida, Saw Palmetto is pretty common and seen many places. But I didn't know it was used medically by Seminole natives for hundreds of years!!! Its extract has even been used by men with enlarged prostates, though there is much debate on whether it works.

Natives to Western Canada have used Saskatoon berries for hundreds of years. However, recently it has been explored as a super-fruit with potential for wide appeal. It contains high levels of protein, antioxidants and vitamins.

If I ever take a trip to Mexico, I want to track down sweet Sapodilla to try out! Here are some tips and facts on this tropical fruit.

Discover a little more about Santol, a relative to the lychee!

Sandpaper fig leaves feel just as they sound, like sand paper! Here is a video showing the application of this plant in cleaning. If you ever camp in Australia, make sure you don't use these to wipe yourself!! =)

Salmonberry has history in Native American legend. In Chinook folklore, the Coyote was told to put its berries inside the mouth of every salmon he caught from the river (Echohawk 2008). This was thought to bring bountiful fishing and give origin to the name of the fruit.

Salak is also known as snakefruit for obvious reasons. If you notice the skin on the outside resembles snake skin!