Visual Encyclopedia

Film

More posts about this topic

Ad

Walter (Kirk Douglas) receives unexpected old pal rogue Sam (Van Heflin), when his wife Martha (Barbara Stanwyck) arrives, buttons being pushed immediately, in Lewis Milestone's "The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers," 1946.

Contributed by Taylor Taglianetti

Ex-fighter Ernie Driscoll (John Payne) watching himself on TV, then with ex-showgirl wife Pauline (Peggie Castle), opening director Phil Karlson's "99 River Street," 1953.

Great scene. Great premise. Poor movie.

Never pay for a movie again.

The first "great" film.

Squidward's Uncanny Resemblence to Woody Allen

I had an epiphany... Credit: Taylor Taglianetti

This film was shot in late 1894/early 1895 at Thomas Edison's laboratory in New Jersey by William Dickson and was a test for Edison's "kinetophone" project which was the first attempt in history to record sound and motion picture in synchronization.

Contributed by Sam Feldstone

"I Love Lucy" shakes up filmmaking

The "I love Lucy" show was the first to use the 3-camera system that is now standard. It was also the first sitcom in front of a live studio audience. Lucy Ball owned a production studio called Desilu (Desi Arnaz & Lucille Ball) with her husband Desi which upset many studios of the time because it was run by a woman and an interacial couple (Desi was Cuban) both taboo in 1962.

Contributed by Ben Fancher

Why we like sad movies

Apparently watching something tragic and heart wrenching acts as a form of emotional catharsis. According to researcher researcher Silvia Knobloch-Westerwick, "People seem to use tragedies as a way to reflect on the important relationships in their own life, to count their blessings. That can help explain why tragedies are so popular with audiences, despite the sadness they induce."

Contributed by Lucy Zhang