Visual Encyclopedia

Downton Abbey

More posts about this topic

Ad

“When they found a maid or a valet whom they really liked, most employers tried to hang on to them and in many cases, as I have said, when the way of life began to collapse after the war they stayed on as a companion or a man servant. In the series, we contrast the false friendship between Cora and O’Brien, where Cora does not really know the true O’Brien at all (which I have seen), but also the genuine affection between Anna and Mary. This scene is one of the first moments where it is used dramatically. Mary is trying to mink of someone who will help her without question, and that person is her maid. Cora is the next choice because she would also be damaged by a scandal. I remember saying to a famous friend who was going through a bad patch in a marriage that it’s important only to stray with someone who has as much to lose as you do. The moment they take up with some girl who’s happy to feature in a headline, they’ve had it. And the only person in this house who will lose as much as Mary is Cora, if the family is to become notorious.” — Julian Fellowes

Contributed by Jessica Marcial

Dancing

wedding

:3

To remember

It’s hard to bond with the baby,” Lady Mary’s Michelle Dockery told reporters. “She looks at him and sees Matthew. It’s a slow process, I think, with motherhood for Mary. The aristocracy didn’t really see their kids very much. So there’s a nanny and, eventually, a governess looking after baby George. … You don’t see much interaction between the baby and Mary.”

Mr. and Mrs. Bates

:)

Tom

Mr. Bates