Visual Encyclopedia

Crochet

More posts about this topic

Ad

Lots of news articles this week are talking about the passion the new generation has from crafting: "Crocheting these days is so much more than granny squares and chunky Afghan blankets. It’s leaner and trendier than it was in the 1960s and ’70s, when the craft was known for its bulky, acrylic yarns. Crochet’s enduring popularity is due partly to today’s wide array of high-quality, luxurious yarns – many at affordable prices. Crochet can be found on high-fashion runways and in upscale home decor. Textile artists such as Kaffe Fassett use it. But it also can just be fun: mischievous “yarn bombers” decorate urban landscapes – street signs, trees, even bicycles and cars – in crochet. It’s never been easier to learn how to wield a crochet hook, thanks to an assortment of books, magazines and online tutorials, which are often free."

Contributed by Kathryn Vercillo

Intricate detailed colorful crochet stitch tutorial - full instructions

Amy, expert over at About.com Crochet says: "There are many different ways you could use those crocheted flowers, but this is one idea I came up with. I turned my sample flower into the center of a hexagon-shaped crochet motif. In theory, I think the hexagon pattern would make fabulous afghans -- although I haven't actually tried joining them yet to make sure they fit together nicely. Both the flower and the floral hexagon patterns are available for free on our website. If you'd like to try crocheting some of these goodies for yourself, you're invited to check out the patterns and give 'em a try."

This is an easy free crochet curtain pattern by Sue Norrad. Find it at crochetandknitting.com. Find more free crochet curtain patterns at www.crochetconcupiscence.com

Etsy's Maria Hera does gorgeous crochet work including this Tunisian Crochet dress

Roundup of Wedding Crochet Posts for DIY Summer Brides: www.crochetconcupiscence.com

Crochet Meets Technology with Crochet QR Codes Learn more at www.crochetconcupiscence.com

Stop Motion: How to Crochet a Granny Square

I recently had the opportunity to receive and review a copy of Dora Ohrenstein’s The New Tunisian Crochet: Contemporary Designs from Time-Honored Traditions. There are lots of things to love about this new crochet book. Here are twenty of them: www.crochetconcupiscence.com

I spend a lot of time looking at crochet patterns online and in books. I’m frequently amazed at how many original designs are out there but I will say that the oversaturation of crochet patterns in the market today means that sometimes it can start to feel like you’ve seen it all before. Then an original pattern will come along that makes you look twice and remember yet again how amazingly creative designers and artists can get with crochet. That’s the case with not just one but nearly every single crochet pattern in Blueprint Crochet Sweaters. From the stitch patterns to the garment shapes, these are crochet patterns that make you look twice and want to create! while most of the patterns are sweaters there are also variations including tanks, tunics and and the Burnt Plaid Dress shown above, which is my favorite of all of the designs.