Visual Encyclopedia

Book

More posts about this topic

Ad

No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai

No Longer Human is an extremely well known and significant work in Japan. Later, in 1948 Dazai committed suicide. The book itself can be read as something of an autobiography of his own life and emotions. I picked it up after learning that the anime Tokyo Ghoul was influenced by the book, and wow, I stumbled across something completely different from what I expected. The writing itself is so raw, bitter, and poignant from the beginning to end and depicts the tragic self destruction of the protagonist beautifully. Nothing is censored or stifled; the protagonist's bad qualities are plainly visible and yet despite the way he describes himself and the implications of the title, I found the story incredibly humanizing.

Contributed by Lucy Zhang

The Stranger: Delving into Existentialism

“Have you no hope at all? And do you really live with the thought that when you die, you die, and nothing remains?" "Yes," I said.” ― Albert Camus, The Stranger The Stranger introduced me to existentialism and also questioned on a broader level the meaning of being human...or if there has to be a meaning at all. Some might find the protagonist Meursault to be sociopathic (he kills a man for no apparent reason--something society cannot accept), but I find him rather a victim of society. Imagine if you had the mindset of Meursault's, a mindset that is completely detached from the common person so that it leaves you isolated from most of society and mutual understanding. How must it feel to endure the weight of the world's Absurdism?

Contributed by Lucy Zhang

Website with 44 American bookstores to check out

Contributed by Katrina Keating

I have been employed by publishers like Simon and Schuster, St Martin's Press, and Penguin to honestly review books and share them with my fellow bookworms. So if you want a teen's perspective on the newest releases, this is the place to go!

Contributed by Samantha Coville

I've kind of wanted to do this before.

Contributed by Kara Skinner

It's happened to me before.

This makes me look crazy in public.

Contributed by Kara Skinner

Fore-Edge Painting on Books

Fore-Edge painting dates back to the 1650s and graces many classic works, like Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. Images are hidden on the edges of a book and can only be viewed at a certain angle.

Contributed by Katlyn Powers

Literature Necklace

Super cute necklace! I want it!

Contributed by Savannah Bettin

100 more, absolutely free, from Google Play

Contributed by Rachel Peterson

Amazon offers a significant number of free ebooks, including classics!

Contributed by Rachel Peterson