Visual Encyclopedia

Barbara Jordan

More posts about this topic

Ad

“But there is something different about tonight. There is something special about tonight. What is different? What is special? I, Barbara Jordan, am a keynote speaker. When -- A lot of years passed since 1832, and during that time it would have been most unusual for any national political party to ask a Barbara Jordan to deliver a keynote address. But tonight, here I am. And I feel -- I feel that notwithstanding the past that my presence here is one additional bit of evidence that the American Dream need not forever be deferred.” 1976 Speech at the Democratic National Convention (Historic first)

Contributed by Empriś Durden

"Do not call for black power or green power. Call for brain power."

Think what a better world it would be if we all, the whole world, had cookies and milk about three o'clock every afternoon and then lay down on our blankets for a nap. -Barbara Jordan

Ms. Jordan during her history-crafting speech.

Professor Barbara Jordan's Landmark Speech to the 1976 Democratic National Convention

Ms. Jordan had at least"40 "first female" positions, countless "First African American" positions, and a sizable amount of "First African American female" positions.

One Democratic Convention attendee later commented “If God is a woman, she must sound like that.

On June 10, 1972, Barbara Jordan shattered all expectations by serving as acting governor of Texas for a day, which was a traditional privilege for president pro tempore.

A political expert once commented, “You’re black, you’re a woman, and you’re large. People don’t really like that image." Haha, foresight fail.

In 1975, Jordan commented, “I am neither a black politician nor a woman politician. Just a politician, a professional politician” (“Barbara Jordan: Representative, 1973-1976, Democrat from Texas”).