Visual Encyclopedia

Bamboo

The bamboos /bæmˈb/ ( listen) are evergreen perennial flowering plants in the subfamily Bambusoideae of the grass family Poaceae. In bamboo, as in other grasses, the internodal regions of the stem are usually hollow and the vascular bundles in the cross section are scattered throughout the stem instead of in a cylindrical arrangement. The dicotyledonous woody xylem is also absent. The absence of secondary growth wood causes the stems of monocots, including the palms and large bamboos, to be columnar rather than tapering.

The description above is licensed from Wikipedia under the Creative Commons license.

Add an image or video to this topic

No signin required

or

Processing...

Cancel

Best posts about this topic

Loading . . .

Ad

Dezeen explains: "Japanese architect Kengo Kuma has bent bamboo into walkways and seating areas at this year's Gwangju Design Biennale in South Korea" www.dezeen.com

Contributed by Kathryn Vercillo

Amazing house made entirely of bamboo

Contributed by Sara Cornett

A Panda's diet is 99% bamboo and the other remaining 1% is made up of other plants and meats.

Contributed by Iesha Liberato

Bamboo plants were not studied until the 1920's even though they were discovered in the late 18th century.

Contributed by Iesha Liberato

"The natural environment for bamboo includes southern China, Thailand, Vietnam, and the tropical latitudes of the Americas."

Contributed by Iesha Liberato

What is Sussle?

Sussle is the first, open visual encyclopedia. Anyone can use it.

What's a visual encylopedia?

It has beautiful images and viral videos that are way more fun than reading all the text in traditional encyclopedias.

5 reasons you should add your own images and videos:

  1. If you found Sussle interesting, then give back by adding something interesting for others.
  2. Help others learn in a fun way.
  3. Make someone else interested in this topic laugh or say wow!
  4. Become internet-famous as people like and share your post.
  5. It's super easy, so it won't take more than a minute.

Ready to start?

Just click on the red module above.