Visual Encyclopedia

Autism

More posts about this topic

Ad

UCLA health giving some information on autism

Contributed by Riss Mints R

This website has a short preview and some information not only about autism but about a movie called One in 88: Understanding Autism that will be coming out soon.

Contributed by Riss Mints R

Interesting fact: the socially acceptable amount of sustained eye contact is 3 seconds. Over 3 seconds at a time counts as staring and is percieved as "creepy" and under 3 seconds gives the impression of being "shifty." Sometimes looking at the bridge of the nose (directly between the eyes) can substitute for direct eye contact.

Contributed by Darlene Holt

What better way to understand Autism, but from someone who has Autism. Temple Grandin has a way to open educators and everyones eyes to different ways of thinking. She went from being non-verbal until she was 4 years old to the ability to speak at a TED conference!

Contributed by Emily Morgan Wiggins

Autism is an increasing disorder in children that a lot of parents may not take into consideration when their child is acting rarely compared to children with out the disorder. Parents should always analyze their child's development and make sure that they are developing right or if they have a disorder. When detected early it can make a big difference

Contributed by Jackie Saenz

Something I designed to represent learning styles, I tend to have multiple learning styles. It's still a work in progress but I could use it as a contribution

Contributed by Monica Norris

Temple Grandin is one of the most inspirational members of the Autism Community. She was born in 1947 during a time when very little was known about Autism, and Temple was exhibiting symptoms of Autism and could not even speak until age 4. Her mother was told to send Temple away to an institution, but through her mother's patience and her very own early intervention, she treated Temple as a normal child and raised her to meet her full potential that while Autism caused Temple frustration and sensory pain in her life...Autism also was responsible for the genius and intelligence in her unique mind...thinking in pictures. She had incredible abilities that she ended up using to earn a doctorate in animal science and designed a cattle chute that is used in over half of all cattle handling facilities in North America. She also regularly gives conferences speaking about Autism and has written several books. I have even had the opportunity to meet her. This is a video clip from a movie about her life

Contributed by Monica Norris