Visual Encyclopedia

Anime

More posts about this topic

Ad

The show basically follows the adventures of Naruto Uzamaki as he battles countless foes and unites nations. The show features many themes, one if which is self discovery. Everyone has the ability to become good, become great. If you work hard enough, all of your wildest desires can come true!

Contributed by Jo Monchery

Crunchyroll supports LGBT

Scrolling through my facebook feed, I see this rainbow colored logo instead of the normal orange crunchyroll profile that I'm used to. Changing to rainbow colored logos might be a common trend right now, but I was still surprised as anime isn't really deeply entrenched in LGBT. Sure, you have yaoi and yuri anime and shows that concern equality among different types of people, but most people don't think much of it when it comes to reality; they take it as entertainment value. Case in point: In Fullmetal Alchemist, the Amestrians commit many injustices against Ishvalans (racism, stereotype, even genocide), but most watchers focus on the two brothers' poignant story about the cost of life and alchemy.

Contributed by Lucy Zhang

Anime and Strong Messages

Hello, I'm new to this whole Sussle thing, but boy do I love anime, so let's jump right into this. If you haven't already seen "Parasyte -The Maxim-," it is a truly wonderful anime with a message that can really make you see the world in a different way. Anime does have a bad reputation with many due to a great deal of sexual content in some anime, as well as many other factors that can be seen as negative, but Parasyte is an anime series that shows how beautiful and insightful anime can be. I really recommend it! (Though I do warn you, there is quite a bit of violence. If you do not like violent anime, this may not be for you.)

Contributed by Sergio Miguel Pacheco

Attack on Titan to fight drug abuse

The Japanese are officially using Attack on Titan to create ads that condemn drug abuse. In other words, drugs are humanity's new foe. The photo states: "All of humanity, fight dangerous drugs!"

Oregairu: the cynical, loner high school mindset

My Teenage Romantic Love Comedy SNAFU is about a cynical loner named Hachiman Hikigaya who shuns the normal high school life and believes that youth is a hoax. He despises the "phoniness" that pervades the high school life he sees around him and thus builds up defenses by deeming himself the lowest of the low who scorns society. When he finally begins to form some types of bonds with others, he cannot bring it to himself to open up and reveal his vulnerabilities, unaware that this in fact hurts those he has grown close to. Hikigaya states: "There was something else I desired all along. Not mutual understanding, friendship, companionship, or anything of the sort. I don't care about being understood...I want something genuine."

Uchiha Sasuke

Sui Ishida (creator of Tokyo Ghoul) draws his own version of Sasuke. Nice art style.

Shokugeki no Soma food in real life

Know the currently ongoing anime Shoukugeki no Soma? The show that features foodgasms in every episode and turns cooking into an epic showdown? Well one Twitter user @noridohiko actually makes all of the dishes mentioned in the anime. The image above is the 1st episode's dish.

Literary References in Psycho-Pass

Psycho-Pass takes place in a dystopian future in which potential criminals are arrested before they commit a crime based on their crime coefficient. Throughout the anime (or at least season 1), a number of book names are mentioned, referencing connections between the world of Psycho-Pass and concepts mentioned in the book. The books include: -George Orwell's 1984 -William Gibson's Johnny Mnemonic and Neuromancer -William Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus -Richard Connell's The Most Dangerous Game -Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness -Friedrich Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil -The Parable of the Sower (from the Bible)

China banned 38 anime, including Attack on Titan and Death Note

I've always turned somewhat of a blind eye to the censorship in China. I understood that Gmail and Facebook couldn't be used and that government dissent is quickly dealt with, but those things never felt very tangible. And then I read this article about China blacklisting many popular anime. The Chinese ministry claims that these shows display "terrorism and crimes against public morality", but the same can be said of so many other movies. Some of the blacklisted anime do not even glorify these negative attributes; rather, they delve into deep themes concerning dark matters and portray them artistically. For example, with regard to Zankyou no Terror, all I can think is: how could you ban something so beautiful and poignant?

Some wise and cynical words from the one and only Hachiman Hikigaya

“The important thing is to take part.” Famous words spoken by Pierre de Frédy, Baron de Coubertin during a speech. However, this quote tends to be frequently misused and serves as kind of a threat to force participation. There are tons of wild-goose chases in this world, you know. If the most important thing is to take part, then surely one could find meaning in not taking part as well. And if everything’s worth experiencing, then there’s little doubt that the feeling of not experiencing something is, in itself, worth experiencing. In fact, you could even call it a valuable experience to not experience something everyone else does. ~Hachiman Hikigaya from My Teenage Romantic Love Comedy SNAFU