Visual Encyclopedia

Animal

More posts about this topic

Ad

The terrible massacre of exotic animals in Ohio shows why people shouldn't own exotics!

Contributed by Kathryn Vercillo

The ocelot, also known as a dwarf leopard, is found in South American (including Trinidad and Margarita), Central America, and even has been found as far north as southern Texas. It's pelt was considered very valuable, leading to poaching and its inclusion on teh endangered species list (under the category of vulnerable). Since 1996, it has not been as hunted, and is doing much better in general.

Contributed by Bridget LaMonica

The Okapi is a mammal found in central Africa in the Congo. Although the stripes on its back end make it resemble a zebra, it is more closely related to the giraffe. There are only about 10-to-20 thousand left in the wild. Many of the plant species the Okapi eats are poisonous to humans.

Koalas and humans are part of a highly exclusive club: They are the only two animals that have fingerprints.

Contributed by Keri Potter

100 years seems like a long time to live to me. It was because of this that the fact that sharks lives can last up to 100 years struck me so much. A fish living 100 years? It just seems pretty amazing to me.

Big Cat Rescue (.org) has this page of liger facts plus a video. A liger is a hybrid animal that results from breeders pairing a male lion to a female tiger. Although they look pretty cool, these hybrids do not occur in the wild and as a result often suffer medical problems. The website urges people not to pay to see these animals in zoos or carnivals, as this particular practice of interbreeding needs to stop. bigcatrescue.org

Mantis Shrimp. The proportion of the length and width of the picture I just posted made it difficult to resize well. So here's the link so that everything is more clear. I apologize for posting an unclear picture.

Mantis Shrimp

6 short videos about 6 impressive efforts to keep various species from going extinct. Jaguars, bears, seals, black rhinos, and sea turtles. The people in these videos show an intense passion.

Japanese Spider Crab. Mostly found off the Japanese island of Honshu. I've heard from another source that they can get to be as big as a car. Wonder how they taste with melted butter....