Visual Encyclopedia

African diaspora

More posts about this topic

Ad

The name Tribal Immunity stems from the belief that people of color, especially those of African descent, should have freedom of artistic creativity. There are nations of Africans scattered across Earth, working to reclaim past glories, and even though we may speak different languages, we are constantly connected through the world of art. Having immunity means to respectfully celebrate those traditions of our ancestors without judgement or fear.

Contributed by Atrice Alexis

“Bandeau Dashiki” Harriets by Hekima line on Etsy www.harrietsbyhekima.bigcartel.com

From West Africa, Ghana specifically, we gain wisdom and insight from Adinkra symbols/Akan words. Sankofa is an Akan word that means, we must go back and reclaim our past so we can move forward; so we understand why and how we came to be who we are today. Acknowledge who you truly are as to propel yourself and your people all the way forward! Source: whenava-tiyewhere.tumblr.com

African Tribes. Traditional hairstyles. Beauty! Source: www.ourafricablog.com

Father and daughter. Danakil desert, Eritrea. © Eric Lafforgue www.ericlafforgue.com

This image is stunning. It has awoken something in me. I see it and I am reminded that: "I am African." Cover art for Milton Davis' tween book, Amber and the Hidden City. djele.deviantart.com Artwork by James Eugene. www.facebook.com